Here’s a summary of last week’s market moving info and a look ahead to the data, events and earnings reports that are likely to move the markets this week.
- The results of a referendum in Scotland over whether the country should be independent were in favour of keeping the UK intact. Over 55% of those who voted were against independence, compared with 44.7% who said “yes.”
- Shares in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba (BABA) jumped in their debut on the New York Stock Exchange. On Friday, shares were trading at $92.70, after being priced at $68 late on Thursday in the much-hyped IPO. They closed at $93.89, 38% above the initial asking price.
- The Federal Reserve maintained its commitment to keep interest rates low for an extended period of time.
- The European Central Bank’s first Targeted Long-Term Refinancing Operation (TLTRO) disappointed. Take-up from banks in the eurozone was only 82.6 billion euros, compared with the most modest of expectations of around 100 billion euros in a survey of economists by Bloomberg.
Monday, Sept. 22
- Eurozone flash consumer confidence data for September.
- Belgium reopens two sovereign debt issues, a 10-year and a 20-year, to raise 2 billion euros.
- ECB President Mario Draghi speaks in front of a committee at the European Parliament.
- UK ONS House Price Index Guidance, Trends in the UK housing market 2014
- UK Labour Party conference ongoing.
- Existing home sales data for August.
- UK milk and dairy producer Dairy Crest half-year trading statement release.
- UK gemstone explorer and minder Gemfields full-year results.
- US food safety diagnostics provider Neogen first-quarter results.
- US auto parts supplier AutoZone fourth-quarter earnings.
Tuesday, Sept. 23
- French final GDP data, second quarter.
- French manufacturing PMI for September, preliminary.
- German manufacturing PMI for September, preliminary.
- Eurozone manufacturing PMI for September, preliminary.
- ECB publishes Consolidated Financial Statement of the Eurosystem.
- UK mortgage approvals for August.
- UK ONS releases public sector finances data for August.
- UK ONS report on intergenerational transmission of poverty in the UK & EU – 2014
- Polish retail sales data for August.
- Hungary central bank interest rate.
- Hungary second-quarter current account balance data.
- US Markit manufacturing PMI for September, preliminary.
- FHFA housing price index for July.
- UK cruise operator Carnival third-quarter earnings release.
- US electronic payments solutions provider USA Technologies fourth-quarter results.
- US-based retailer Bed, Bath & Beyond second-quarter earnings.
Wednesday, Sept. 24
- Germany IFO business sentiment index for September.
- The Netherlands issues new 5-year sovereign bond to raise 4 billion euros.
- UK ONS report: Measuring National Well-being – Domains and Measures – September 2014
- Weekly mortgage applications data from the Mortgage Bankers Association.
- Weekly crude inventories.
- New home sales data for August.
- UK pharmaceutical and business services provider Clinigen full-year earnings.
- German nanotechnology specialist Nanogate second-quarter earnings.
- French technology consulting firm Alten half-year earnings.
- US-listed consultancy Accenture fourth-quarter results.
- US homebuilder KB Home third-quarter results release.
Thursday, Sept. 25
- ECB publishes eurozone money supply data.
- Eurozone members’ national balance sheet data, excluding the Eurosystem.
- ECB’s President Mario Draghi speaks in Vilnius, Lithuania.
- Austria industrial production data for July.
- Spanish producer prices for August.
- UK Help-to-Buy housing scheme data for August.
- UK CBI reported sales for September.
- Czech central bank interest rate.
- Turkish central bank interest rate.
- Weekly initial jobless claims.
- Durable goods orders for August.
- Markit flash services PMI for September.
- Kansas City Fed survey.
- French scanners maker Microwave Vision half-year earnings.
- French recreational vehicles and kit maker Trigano foruth-quarter sales.
- Swedish clothes retailer Hennes & Mauritz third-quarter results.
- German home improvement chain Hornbach second-quarter earnings.
- US sports shoes maker Nike first-quarter results.
- US semiconductor devices maker Micron Technology fourth-quarter results.
Friday, Sept. 26
- Germany consumer confidence index GsK for October.
- French consumer confidence index for September.
- Spanish mortgage statistics for July.
- UK Land Registry full house price index for August.
- Slovak producer prices data for August.
- Hungary unemployment for August.
- Second-quarter GDP, third estimate.
- Second-quarter GDP deflator, third estimate.
- Michigan University consumer confidence for September.
- Canadian smartphones-maker Blackberry second quarter results.
- US specialty retailer Finish Line second-quarter earnings release.